SPRINGFIELD — This is the kind of shady, peaceful place where children join parents and grandparents for a final, silent family reunion. Usually called Union Cemetery in Springfield, it was originally named Evergreen Cemetery when it was founded in October 1857,  The original two acres of burial ground were donated from the farm of David Olp, However, although called Evergreen Cemetery, a copy of the cemetery organization papers shows the original cemetery association was called the Union Cemetery Association in 1857.
The name Union Cemetery began catching on sometime after the Civil War.  As many as 17 of the old soldiers are buried there among the 200 or so others who also make the cemetery their final resting place. Henry Olp, a relative of David Olp, is one of them.

add another page.

%d bloggers like this: